Monday 10 June 2013

DIY: Swimming Dress with a guest appearence from my cat!!

Hellooo,
I haven't actually sewn much lately but as a quick surprise to myself I had to rush making a swimming dress.  A dew years a go my mum made herself a dress to wear at water parks so she didn't have to walk around feeling self conscious. The dress was wearable in water too. I was going to a water park in two days and was unable to make the dress the next day. I didn't go for the same style of dress as my mother because of course I made it unnecessarily difficult for myself, I always aim to high.I decided to make one in the dungaree-dress style. 

I folded my material in half and layered the dress down over the top and cut through both layers around the dress.





Of course, the back piece was now the same as the first so I cut one piece so it was only the skirt part. I then saved the scrap to use as a pocket.

I also used some scrap as straps. I wanted the the straps to criss-cross over my back to prevent them from falling down. I just had to roughly stretch it over my back and hope.




I started sewing on my machine but 3 hours later and only 1/4 of a pocket later I gave up on my broken machine and decided I would have to sew by hand. Remember, be sure to sew "left/wrong" sides out. So basically the inside facing you when you sew.

I used my needle like this to sew, back stitching would of been more stable but  just wanted it done. I wore it to Wet 'n' Wild and only part of one strap came undone but when it went in the wash the entire strap came off and a lot of the stitches became very lose. Once I can deal with my sewing machine again, I'll try to do it again with the machine. The material in bulk is fairly cheap so you could make a bunch of these in different styles easily and quite quickly.

Before I go would like to mention how my cat Tinkerbell  suddenly got all kittenish. She always likes to sit on what she think is important to me so her sitting on the dress was normal, her playing with the edges was cute but her trying to kill it was just out of character! It was adorable as well as annoying, bless her.



Thanks,
Rainiepie

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of a swimming dress. I want a full Edwardian bathing suit but don't think most people would even know what it was! ha ha.

    My bird Isambard Steamparakeet gets mad at the computer when I am using it instead of playing with him. He also goes crazy over my hairbands, he loves to chew them, but sometimes accidentally flips them over his head and runs around with them on like a collar, freaking out. It is hard to catch him to take them off! :P

    ReplyDelete