Sunday 12 May 2013

Watercolour Dragon

Hello Readers,
I
 haven't painted anything with watercolour for a really long time and I hadn't used my travelling watercolour set for a while either so I wanted to use it. Yesterday I decided to play around with it. I knew I wanted to do a dragon but had no real plan. My first initial idea was to put watery splotches of different colours on the canvas, use a straw and just see if I could make a shape. I got carried away withe the green however and painted the whole canvas. I tried drawing a rough shape from there, I tried  drawing a long dragon, a sleeping dragon and I tried lots of different times to get something I could settle with.


One of the great things about water colour is that when you draw lightly on top of a wet canvas just adding water over the pencil and blending with a paintbrush rubs the pencil away, don't press to hard though or it'll show when it dries. Unfortunately I pressed to hard and some lines are still seen.


There are also a few cat hairs from Tinkerbell stuck to the canvas, i'll have to try and peel them of. I plan on using water colour pencils over the top to add detail, in the wings, eyes, maybe add some scales and make the dragon stand out from the background. I won't use too much water though.

I'll post more when I finish it. I would love any tips and advice, so if you have any, please tell me in the comments or you can email me at rain@fairytree.co.uk, thank you

Rainiepie

No comments:

Post a Comment